Friday, March 5, 2010

Great Divide Brewing Co - Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout


Hello hello! How is everyone? I am back, and this time I'm reviewing a beauty! It comes to us from Great Divide Brewing Company (I reviewed previously Hercules Double IPA from this Brewing Co) and this offering is the oak-aged counterpart to Great Divide's Yeti Imperial Stout. The alcohol content is high: 9.5% and the IBU is 75 so that's pretty high also. Yeah I know what you're thinking, it definitely sounds interesting...add in a splash of vanilla from the oak aging process and it makes for one intriguing combination. This brew was recommended to me by a friend, so let's test it out :]


Name: Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout
Category/Style: Imperial Stout
ABV: 9.5%
IBU: 75
OG: Unknown
Malt Types: Unknown
Hop Types: Unknown
Bottled: November 27th, 2009

The Pour: Super dark! The head is light brown/dark tan, nice and fluffy. The beer looks like it's thick and rich. The color is dark. Black. No light penetrates this one; it's black as night. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

The Nose: Oh man the nose is incredible! Hops, Dark Chocolate, roasted coffee, Vanilla, some oak/woody notes, maybe some cola notes? Sweet and malty...molasses? This one is gonna be good! Definite roasted character and swirling the glass only enhances the nose. Smells of alcohol, after all it's 9.5%.

The Taste: Oh yeah. Wow. Really intense. I'm drinking this nearly roomtemp and I think this is the perfect way to drink it. Where do I start describing?! Full on heavy mouthfeel, the Vanilla deliciousness rises slowly up through my nose and the 9.5% alcohol feels warm in my mouth. Dark Chocolate, Cacao Nibs, oak. Roastiness midway and all the way through to the finish. Light bubbly carbonation, perfect for a stout. Bitterness, Vanilla midway through and on the finish! The dark roasted, burnt notes are amazing and the lingering bitterness only enhances the desire to drink more (I've only had two sips by the way). High alcohol. Lingering warming on the throat. Lacing is good. Slight smokiness on the finish as well.

The Verdict: This beer basically blew my mind. This one is definitely worth savoring and is more or less, dessert in a glass. What more is there to say? It's a huge stout. Imperial. High alcohol. Massive chocolate, coffee, roasted and burnt notes, as well as vanilla from the oak aging process. It's amazing! A great beer! Instantly one of my favorites. Please go and do yourself a favor and buy a bottle. You really won't be disappointed :]




Thanks for reading!

Zach

No comments: