Thursday, March 11, 2010

Elysian Brewing Company: Avatar Jasmine IPA


Hello! How are you tonight? I am well myself! And I am here to review yet another beer for you. This time I am reviewing a truly local example of Seattle Microbrew, and it is the Avatar Jasmine IPA from Elysian Brewing Company.

We find Elysian Brewing Co in three locations within the Seattle area. The first is located downtown just off of First Ave (Elysian Fields), the second on Capitol Hill, and the third in Tangletown (near Wallingford) in North Seattle.

Elysian brews a full line of available-all-year-long brews, as well as a seasonal line. But if I had to pick one, I would say that Elysian is most well-known for producing the: Immortal IPA. I have not tried the Immortal, but I have tried their Dragonstooth Stout, and must say that I find it to be ridiculously good (perhaps a future review is forthcoming?). I have also sampled their winter seasonal: Bifrost Ale (and don't remember liking it terribly well) but hey, I have always been one for second chances, and third chances, and fourth, and yeah, well you get the picture, so let's have a go...Avatar Jasmine IPA....................


Name: Avatar Jasmine IPA
Category/Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 6.3%
IBU: 40
OG: Unknown
Malt Types: Pale, 45° Crystal, Munich, and Carahell
Hop Types: German Northern Brewer, Glacier, and Amarillo
Additives: Dried Jasmine Flowers
Bottled: Unknown

The Pour: Hazy, dark yellow-orange, coppery amber, thin white head, and not much in the way of lacing...

The Nose: Hops, pine, citrus, straw, flowery, slight malt, sweetness, caramel notes? Yeasty, slightly bready...

The Taste: Hmm, slight initial bitterness, sweet, good combination and balance. Lots of flowers, grass and straw midway through, carbonation is light to medium. The bitterness is not overpowering or dominant and lingers ever so slightly with just a touch of sweetness at the end. This brew totally reminds me of cross between an IPA and a German Lager (like Bitburger Pils), the floral, grassy and straw-like characteristics of this beer reminds me of this.

The Verdict: The drinkability is definitely high and I would say that it should be quite refreshing on a hot summers day. I would estimate an IBU between 40 - 60 for this beer. The flavors are very mellow, not incredibly hoppy, pretty well balanced (although I am a bit of a hop head myself ;] and don't mind super bitter beers) I thought it was a decent brew and it might do well to drink it ice cold (something that I did not do). If you're looking for something different IPA-wise and enjoy a slightly less bitter beer, this is a good bet :]



Thanks for reading!

Zach

No comments: